A Guide to Driving Times and Distances on Rarotonga
Don’t worry, a road trip around Rarotonga never has you staying in the car or on a scooter for too long! There’s something amazing to see every couple of kilometres down the road, whether it be a stunning beach to snorkel at or a hiking trail to explore inland. Don’t believe us? Check out this guide to the travel times and distances on Rarotonga to see how quickly you can get between the island’s main waypoints.
3 Things You Need to Know About the Driving Times on Rarotonga
The driving times stated in the guide below take into account some of the following reasons your driving speed will be affected on Rarotonga:
- It takes approximately 45-50 minutes to drive around the entire island on the main road, Ara Tapu
- The speed limit on Rarotonga is 30kph in Avarua and Muri, 40kph within villages and 50kph everywhere else
- There are other hazards on Rarotonga’s roads to frequently slow down for, including animals, children, buses and traffic.
Needless to say, you’ll be driving at a slow speed on Rarotonga and taking it easy. Personally, that’s what we love about a road trip in “Raro”! For more driving tips, see How to Drive in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands + 10 Road Rules.
How Long Does it Take to Travel Around Rarotonga?
If you’re wondering how long it takes to travel around Rarotonga via a particular transport, then wonder no more!
How Long Does it Take to Walk Around Rarotonga?
It takes approximately 5h30mins – 6h20mins to walk around Rarotonga’s main road, Ara Tapu, which is 32km (20 miles) long.
How Long Does it Take to Cycle Around Rarotonga?
It takes approximately 1h15mins to 2h40mins to cycle around Rarotonga on the main road, depending on your speed. Check out The Cycling Times & Distances in Rarotonga for more details.
How Long Does it Take to Travel Around Rarotonga By Bus?
It takes approximately 50 minutes to travel the whole circuit around Rarotonga by bus. Check out our guide, The Bus in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands: Bus Fares, Timetable & More for timetables and how long it takes to get to destinations across Rarotonga.
How Long Does it Take to Drive Around Rarotonga by Car?
It takes approximately 45-50 minutes to drive around Rarotonga’s main road by car, Ara Tapu, which is 32km (20 miles) long.
How Long Does it Take to Scooter Around Rarotonga?
It takes approximately 45-50 minutes to scooter around Rarotonga’s main road, Ara Tapu, which is 32km (20 miles) long.
Driving Times from Muri
Muri is one of the top hotspots for resorts, villas and general holidaying on Rarotonga. Chances are, you’ll need to make a trip to or from here at some point. With that in mind, here are the approximate travel times for driving between Muri and popular destinations around Rarotonga.
Muri to: (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Avarua – 9.5 km / 5.9 mi / 13 mins
- Titikaveka – 2.5 km / 1.5 mi / 3 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 9 km / 5.6 mi / 15 mins
- Aroa Beach – 9.8 km / 6 mi / 13 mins
- Arorangi (Castaway/Discover Eco Centre/Beluga) – 12.5 km / 7.8 mi / 17 mins
- Arorangi (Edgewater/Crown Beach/Ariki Adventures) – 14.5 km / 9 mi / 20 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 12.5 km / 7.8 mi / 18 mins.
Want to know how much this is going to cost you via taxi? Check out Taxis in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands: Taxi Fares, How to Use & More.
Driving Times from Avarua
Avarua is the capital of the Cook Islands and no doubt a place you’ll visit during your time on Rarotonga, whether it’s to explore the Punanga Nui Market (a must-do!), sample its cafes and restaurants or do one of the 10 Best Things to Do in Avarua.
Avarua to: (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
Driving Times from Arorangi (Edgewater)
Arorangi is a large district running down the west coast of Rarotonga with many resorts and accommodations lining its beach. The list of travel times and distances below starts from the northern end of Arorangi at Rarotonga’s largest resort, the Edgewater Resort & Spa, which is also nearby Crown Beach Resort & Spa and Ariki Adventures.
Arorangi (Edgewater) to: (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Arorangi (Castaway) – 2 km / 1.2 mi / 3 mins
- Aroa Beach – 4.8 km / 3 mi / 7 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 8.6 km / 5.3 mi / 14 mins
- Titikaveka – 11 km / 6.8 mi / 15 mins
- Muri – 14.5 km / 9 mi / 20 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 4 km / 2.5 mi / 6 mins
- Avarua – 7 km / 4.3 mi / 10 mins.
Driving Times from Aroa Beach
Aroa Beach sits at the southern end of the Arorangi District on the southwest coast. The popular snorkelling spot is where resorts and attractions are located, such as The Rarotongan Beach Resort, Sanctuary Rarotonga on the Beach, Adventure Cook Islands and Polynesian Car Rentals.
Aroa Beach to: (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Arorangi (Castaway) – 3 km / 1.9 mi / 4 mins
- Arorangi (Edgewater) – 4.8 km / 3 mi / 7 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 8.9 km / 5.5 mi / 12 mins
- Avarua – 11.9 km / 7.4 mi / 17 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 3.8 km / 2.4 mi / 7 mins
- Titikaveka – 6 km / 3.7 mi / 8 mins
- Muri – 9.8 km / 6 mi / 13 mins.
More About the Travel Times and Distances on Rarotonga
That’s it for the Rarotonga travel times and distances and how long it takes to travel around Rarotonga. For more travel times to get stuck into, check out the following guides, as well as more content about Rarotonga:
- What are the Flight Times to Rarotonga & the Cook Islands?
- The Driving Times in the Cook Islands You Need to Know
- The Complete Travel Guide to Rarotonga
Finally, plan how you’re going to get around Rarotonga using our Rarotonga Transport Guide: 10 Ways to Get to (& Around) Rarotonga and plan a road trip using A Self-Guided Day Trip Around Rarotonga.