How Long Does it Take to Cycle in the Cook Islands?
If there’s only one tropical paradise you’re going to get around by bicycle or e-bike, make it the Cook Islands. With the largest of the islands only having a 32 km (20 miles) ring road, most of the islands in the Cook Islands are very doable by bike. Roads are mostly flat and while you’ll have a bit of traffic to negotiate on the largest island, Rarotonga, the outer islands of Aitutaki, Atiu and Mauke provide a more peaceful ride.
Check out the cycling times and distances on all of the Cook Islands, where bicycle hire is available, in the guide below!
How Long Does it Take to Cycle Around Rarotonga?
Cycling around an entire island in less than a day is an exciting prospect, but note that this feat is still a challenge for some, especially in the tropical heat. Nevertheless, the main road around the island is approximately 32 km (20 miles) and is mostly flat. How long it takes to cycle around Rarotonga depends on how fast you can/want to cycle and how many stops you do. To give you some indication, the approximate speed and time calculations for riding 32 km are as follows:
- Speed: 12kmh (7.5mph) = 2h40mins
- Speed: 15kmh (9mph) = 2h10mins
- Speed: 19kmh (12mph) = 1h45mins
- Speed: 25kmh (15mph) = 1h16mins
- Speed: 27kmh (17mph) = 1h11mins
In other words, it takes approximately 1h15mins to 2h40mins to cycle around Rarotonga, depending on your speed. A steady pace is 15kph/9mph, which makes it 2h10mins to cycle around Rarotonga for the average person. For a comparison of how long it takes to drive around Rarotonga, check out our Rarotonga Travel Times & Distances.
Cycling Times on Rarotonga
Rarotonga has the most options when it comes to bicycle and e-bike rentals in the Cook Islands, with the most abundant choice found in Muri, Arorangi (near the Edgewater Resort) and Aroa Beach (near The Rarotongan Resort). With that in mind, we’ve compiled some cycling times and distances from these start points so you know how long and how far your cycling adventure will take you.
For locations on where to hire bikes, including accommodations renting out bikes, check out Cycle Rarotonga & the Cook Islands: Where to Rent Bikes & E-Bikes.
Cycling Times from Muri to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Avarua – 9.5 km / 5.9 mi / 38 mins
- Titikaveka – 2.5 km / 1.5 mi / 10 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 9 km / 5.6 mi / 36-40 mins
- Aroa Beach – 9.8 km / 6 mi / 36 mins
- Arorangi (Castaway/Discover Eco Centre/Beluga) – 12.5 km / 7.8 mi / 50 mins
- Arorangi (Edgewater/Crown Beach/Ariki Adventures) – 14.5 km / 9 mi / 58 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 12.5 km / 7.8 mi / 50 mins.
Cycling Times from Arorangi (Edgewater) to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Arorangi (Castaway) – 2 km / 1.2 mi / 8 mins
- Aroa Beach – 4.8 km / 3 mi / 19 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 8.6 km / 5.3 mi / 34-40 mins
- Titikaveka – 11 km / 6.8 mi / 44 mins
- Muri – 14.5 km / 9 mi / 58 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 4 km / 2.5 mi / 16 mins
- Avarua – 6 km / 3.7 mi / 24 mins
Cycling Times from Aroa Beach to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Arorangi (Castaway) – 3 km / 1.9 mi / 12 mins
- Arorangi (Edgewater) – 4.8 km / 3 mi / 19 mins
- Nikao Beach/Airport – 8.9 km / 5.5 mi / 35 mins
- Avarua – 10.8 km / 6.7 mi / 43 mins
- Wigmore’s Waterfall – 3.8 km / 2.4 mi / 15-20 mins
- Titikaveka – 6 km / 3.7 mi / 24 mins
- Muri – 9.8 km / 6 mi / 36 mins.
If you prefer to ride the scenic route, check out the 5 Best Bike Trails in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands.
Cycling Times on Aitutaki
Cycling around Aitutuaki is very doable, especially with one mountain bike rental and a few accommodations providing bikes free for guests. We have compiled cycling times and distances from the areas where most accommodations/bike rentals are located, as well as popular waypoints.
For locations on where to hire bikes, including accommodations with free bike hire, check out Cycle Rarotonga & the Cook Islands: Where to Rent Bikes & E-Bikes.
How Long Does it Take to Cycle Around Aitutaki?
At a steady pace (15kph/9mph), it takes approximately 1h40mins to cycle around Aitutaki. This is 25 km (15.5 mi) cycling the outer roads of Aitutaki, including to Ootu Beach and back.
Cycling Times from Ootu Beach to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Sunset Coast (Maunga Pu trailhead) – 4.6 km / 2.9 mi / 18 mins
- Amuri (north) – 6.8 km / 4.2 mi / 27 mins
- Arutanga – 8.5 km / 5.3 mi / 34 mins
- Tautu (Avatea Cafe) – 10.3 km / 6.4 mi / 41 mins.
Cycling Times from Sunset Coast to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Ootu Beach – 4.6 km / 2.9 mi / 18 mins
- Amuri (north) – 2 km / 1.2 mi / 8 mins
- Arutanga – 3.8 km / 2.4 mi / 15 mins
- Tautu (Avatea Cafe) – 6.5 km / 4 mi / 26 mins.
Cycling Times from Amuri (Rino’s) to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Sunset Coast (Maunga Pu trailhead) – 2.9 km / 1.8 mi / 11 mins
- Arutanga – 0.85 km / 0.5 mi / 3 mins
- Tautu (Avatea Cafe) – 3.6 km / 2.2 mi / 14 mins
- Ootu Beach – 7.5 km / 4.7 mi / 30 mins.
For a scenic ride on Aitutaki, check out the 5 Best Bike Trails in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands.
Cycling Times on Atiu
Atiu is a very manageable island to cycle around with just a few steady uphills in the centre of the island, while the coastal road is mostly flat and quiet. Check out the A Self-Guided Day Trip Around Atiu for an awesome itinerary. All cycling times below start from Atiu Villas, which is the only place on the island where you can hire a bicycle.
How Long Does it Take to Cycle Around Atiu?
At a steady pace (15kph/9mph), it takes approximately 1h20mins to cycle around Atiu. This is 20 km (12 mi) cycling the outer road.
Cycling Times from Atiu Villas to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Town/Villages (Super Brown) – 1.5 km / 0.9 mi / 6 mins
- Matai Beach – 2.1 km / 1.3 mi / 8 mins
- Oneroa Beach – 4.5 km / 2.8 mi / 18 mins
- Taunganui Harbour – 4.9 km / 3 mi / 19 mins
- Konakonako Landing – 6.3 km / 3.9 mi / 25 mins
- Taungaroro Beach – 5.1 km / 3.3 mi / 20 mins.
We also have a scenic cycling route on Atiu listed in the 5 Best Bike Trails in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands.
Cycling Times on Mauke
Mauke presents another peaceful and manageable island in the Cook Islands to cycle around. The roads are mostly flattened coral and flat, easy to navigate by bicycle. The only bike hire on the island is with Ri’s Retreat, so all of the cycle times and distances below start from this location. Find out more about the accommodation in Where to Stay on Mauke.
How Long Does it Take to Cycle Around Mauke?
At a steady pace (15kph/9mph), it takes approximately 1h05mins to cycle around Mauke. This is 16 km (10 mi) cycling the outer road.
Cycling Times from Ri’s Retreat to – (Kilometres / Miles / Minutes)
- Divided Church (Ngatiarua/Areora) – 3 km / 1.9 mi / 12 mins
- Kimiangatau – 2.2 km / 1.4 mi / 8 mins
- Arapaea Beach – 3.3 km / 2 mi / 13 mins
- Anaiti Cove (Kea’s Grave) – 4.7 km / 2.9 mi / 18 mins
- Te Oneroa Beach – 7.2 km / 4.5 mi / 28 mins.
More About Cycling Times and Distances in the Cook Islands
That’s it for our guide to the cycling times and distances in Rarotonga, Aitutaki and the Cook Islands. For more tips on planning the perfect cycling holiday, take a look at the following guides:
- The Ultimate Guide to Mountain Biking in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
- 5 Best Bike Tours in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
- The Driving Times in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands You Need to Know
Finally, check out more ways to travel around the Cook Islands in our Cook Islands Transport Guide: 15 Best Ways to Get Around the Cook Islands.