Taxi Prices for Rarotonga Airport
Taxis are the universal go-to for airport transfers worldwide, but how much will it cost you on Rarotonga? As you’re about to find out, taxis are perhaps the more premium option for getting between your accommodation and the airport. Nevertheless, you asked for it so we’re here to provide the answer; here is how much a taxi costs from Rarotonga Airport.
For more taxi talk, be sure to check out our guide to Taxis in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands: Taxi Fares, How to Use & More.
4 Tips for Taking a Taxi at Rarotonga International Airport
- There’s currently no Uber available on Rarotonga so there’s no need to look for that
- On average, the starting rate for a taxi is NZ$10 then the rate is approximately NZ$3 per kilometre (NZ$4.83 per mile). However, most taxis will have a flat rate for airport transfers, so be sure to ask for the rate before agreeing to a ride – or else you could be paying much more than you anticipated
- Negotiating taxi prices is not customary in the Cook Islands
- If taxis are too expensive for your budget, consider one of the cheaper options: we list them all in The Cheapest Airport Transfers in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands.
Taxis to Avarua and Nikao
Taxi Price Between Rarotonga Airport and Avarua/Nikao: NZ$15 per person
Rarotonga Airport is located in the suburb of Nikao, part of the Avarua District. So, of course, Avarua and Nikao are the cheapest places to get a taxi from Rarotonga Airport. Avarua is the capital of the Cook Islands and is where you can find most shops and services on Rarotonga.
Depending on where you are staying, the driving time between Rarotonga Airport and Avarua or Nikao is between 3 to 5 minutes at a distance of 1 to 4km (0.6 to 2.5 miles).
Accommodation in Avarua and Nikao
Taxis to Arorangi
Taxi Price Between Rarotonga Airport and Arorangi: NZ$20-$37 per person
See, here’s the thing about Arorangi. Although its beach is lined with gorgeous resorts, the distance from the airport ranges from 4km (2.5 miles) at the Edgewater Resort & Spa up to 9km (5.6 miles) at The Rarotonga Beach Resort & Lagoonarium. Therefore, determining an exact airport taxi cost to this district isn’t always straightforward. Agree on a flat rate with the driver before getting into the taxi. Otherwise, you might want to choose one of the airport shuttles offering shared rides for NZ$25-$34 per adult – find out more in The Cheapest Airport Transfers in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands.
Accommodation in Arorangi
In order of the closest distance from the airport:
- Sunset Resort
- Serenity Villas
- Edgewater Resort & Spa
- Crown Beach Resort & Spa
- Manuia Beach Resort
- Coral Sands Apartments
- Magic Reef Beachfront Bungalows
- Castaway Resort
- The Black Pearl at Puaikura
- Lagoon Breeze Villas
- Aro’a Beachside Inn
- The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium
- Sanctuary Rarotonga on the Beach.
Taxis to Muri
Taxi Price Between Rarotonga Airport and Muri: NZ$40-$45 per person
The most popular holiday hotspot on Rarotonga is, unfortunately, one of the furthest locations from the airport. With that, Muri is also one of the most expensive places to get a taxi from Rarotonga Airport. Nevertheless, if you want the convenience, speed and privacy that a taxi service offers, then go for gold!
The distance between Muri and Rarotonga Airport is approximately 13km (8 miles) and takes around 18 to 20 minutes.
Accommodation in Muri
- Pacific Resort Rarotonga
- Nautilus Resort
- Muri Beach Resort
- Ocean Escape Resort & Spa
- Muri Beach Club Hotel
- Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
- Te Vakaroa Villas
- Crystal Blue Lagoon Villas
- Mai’i Villa Apartments
- Rendezvous Villas
- Avana Waterfront Apartments
- Muri Beachcomber
- Mama Taras Bungalows
- Kura’s Kabanas
- Manea on Muri
- Aremango Guesthouse & Cottage
- Ariki Bungalows.
Taxis to Titikaveka and Vaimaanga
Taxi Price Between Rarotonga Airport and Titikaveka and Vaimaanga: NZ$38-$50 per person
The two main districts on the south coast also sit pretty far from Rarotonga Airport, ranging from 10 to 16km (6 to 10 miles) away. Vaimaanga is the closest to the airport in this district, home to the Paupa Waterfall and Wigmore’s Superstore, while Titikaveka is the neighbouring village of Muri. If you need more references, head to Where to Stay on Rarotonga: The BEST Rarotonga Accommodations.
Accommodation in Titikaveka and Vaimaanga
In order of the closest distance from the airport:
- Rarotonga Daydreamer Escape
- Moana Sands Beachfront Villas
- Palm Grove
- Sea Change Villas
- Bella Beach Bungalows
- Whitesands Beach Villas
- Motu Beachfront Art Villas
- Makayla Palms
- Sands Villas
- Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel
- Little Polynesian Resort
- Raina Holiday Apartments
- Moana Sands Lagoon Resort
- Rumours Luxury Villas & Spa.
More About Airport Taxis and Transfers on Rarotonga
That’s it for our guide to how much a Rarotonga airport taxi costs. And, we don’t blame you for wanting to explore other options… Here are some of those other said options:
- 8 Best Airport Transfers in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
- The Cheapest Airport Transfers in Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
- Rarotonga Transport Guide: 10 Ways to Get to (& Around) Rarotonga
Finally, be even more prepared for arrival with our advice guides, Arriving at Rarotonga Airports: A Step-by-Step Guide and Arriving in Rarotonga: Airport Customs, Biosecurity & the Arrival Process.