What is the Best Aitutaki Accommodation?
Looking for a place to stay on Aitutaki? The blissful blue lagoon and peppery sands can’t help draw travellers who hear about this piece of South Pacific paradise. Sure, there are a few resorts here and even accommodation on a private island, but where is the best place to stay on Aitutaki?
Whatever your vibe and whatever your budget, there are Aitutaki accommodations to suit. We cover all of Aitutaki’s accommodations, splitting them by location, as well as accommodation categories (resort, mid-range, cheap and holiday home) to help you choose the best place to stay on Aitutaki for you!
After you’ve found the perfect place to stay, plan the rest of your getaway to paradise using The Complete Travel Guide to Aitutaki.
The Top 10 Aitutaki Accommodations
Before we dive into this complete guide on where to stay on Aitutaki, we thought you’d find it helpful for us to list our top 10 Aitutaki accommodations and where to find them.
- Etu Moana Boutique Beachfront Villas – North Sunset Coast
- Pacific Resort Aitutaki – South Sunset Coast/Amuri
- Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort – Akitua/Ootu Beach
- Tai Roto Bay Beach Villas – Ootu Peninsula
- Aitutaki Village – Ootu Beach
- Abera’s Aitutaki Villas -North Sunset Coast
- Tai Marino – North Sunset Coast
- Ranginui’s Retreat – Ootu Beach
- Aitutaki Escape – North Sunset Coast
- Kuru Club Aitutaki – Ootu Peninsula.
The list continues in the 10 Best Resorts on Aitutaki and The Top 50 Resorts in the Cook Islands.
Aitutaki Accommodation at Ootu Beach and Peninsula
The Ootu Peninsula is the long “hook” of Aitutaki’s main island that stretches down the northeastern edge of the lagoon. In other words, the stretch that also has the airport runway. At the southern end of the peninsula is Ootu Beach, a hub for holiday accommodations and restaurants, as well as being the main departure point for lagoon cruises. The beach itself is a popular swimming beach.
All in all, Ootu Beach and the Ootu Peninsula are both popular places to stay on Aitutaki. On the downside, you’re as far as you can be away from town (Arutanga) and Aitutaki’s grocery stores.
The Best Resorts at Ootu Beach
- Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort – 5-star adults-only resort on a private island.
Find out more about this resort in the 10 Best Resorts on Aitutaki.
Mid-Range Accommodation at Ootu Beach and Peninsula
- Aitutaki Village – Bungalows for all traveller types
- Tai Roto Bay Beach Villas – Boutique adults-only accommodation by the beach
- Aitutaki Ootu Villa – Private 3-bedroom holiday home.
More details on these accommodations can be found in 10 Best Family Accommodations on Aitutaki, 5 Best Holiday Homes on Aitutaki and 10 Best Boutique Resorts on Aitutaki.
Cheap Accommodation at Ootu Beach
- Ranginui’s Retreat – Affordable self-catering bungalows
- Popoara Ocean Breeze Villas – Affordable garden villas.
More on these accommodations can be found in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Aitutaki Accommodation on the Sunset Coast
The northwestern coast of Aitutaki is unofficially known as the “Sunset Coast“. The main attractions here are the resorts and beach bungalow accommodations lining the white sandy beach, which are backed by the highest point of Aitutaki, Maunga Pu. A couple of the resorts have restaurants here. The swimming is best toward the Pacific Resort Aitutaki.
The Best Resorts on the Sunset Coast of Aitutaki
- Pacific Resort Aitutaki – 5-star resort on the beach
- Etu Moana – Adults-only boutique eco-resort
- Tamanu Beach Resort – Resort on the beach with spacious villas.
Learn more about these resorts in the 10 Best Resorts on Aitutaki.
Luxury Accommodation on the Sunset Coast of Aitutaki
- Aitutaki Escape – Luxury villas with a private pool.
Discover what makes this accommodation so luxurious in the 5 Best Luxury Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Mid-Range Accommodation on the Sunset Coast of Aitutaki
- Abera’s Aitutaki Villas – Two villas with a pool and scooters included
- Tai Marino – Boutique beach bungalows
- Paradise Cove Lodge – Bungalows on the bear with a bar
- Ranginui Sunset – Self-contained bungalows north of the airport
- Aitutaki Seaside – Self-contained bungalows by the beach
- Amuri Sands – Self-catering accommodation by the beach.
Learn more about these accommodations in the 10 Most Romantic Honeymoon Resorts on Aitutaki and 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Cheap Accommodation on the Sunset Coast of Aitutaki
- Matriki Beach Huts – Characterful bungalows on the beach with bikes and kayaks
- Vaikoa Beach Units – Affordable self-contained units.
Check out the facilities at these accommodations in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Holiday Homes on the Sunset Coast of Aitutaki
- Moana Villa Aitutaki – Hillside 3-bedroom house with a pool
- Are Kapakapa – Modern 2-bedroom house north of the airport.
Learn more about these private holiday rentals in the 5 Best Holiday Homes on Aitutaki.
Aitutaki Accommodation Between Amuri and Arutanga
The two most populated villages on Aitutaki are Amuri, just south of the “Sunset Coast”, and Arutanga about 1.5km (0.9 miles) south. The villages sort of merge together along the main road between the two, lined with takeaway cafes, grocery stores, sports fields and holiday accommodations. The latter, we list below…
The main advantages of staying between Amuri and Arutanga are not only that many accommodations are on the beachfront but it’s the most convenient place to stay on the island for meals – you have grocery stores and restaurants nearby. This stretch of Aitutaki also has some of the atoll’s most affordable accommodations.
Mid-Range Accommodation in Amuri and Arutanga
- Rino’s Bungalows – Motel-style accommodation for all groups
- Paparei Beachfront Bungalows – Basic bungalows by the beach
- Sunny Beach Lodge – Beachfront bungalows and garden unit.
For more details on these accommodations, check out the 10 Best Family Accommodations on Aitutaki and 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Cheap Accommodation in Amuri and Arutanga
- Aitutaki Budget Accommodation – Private rooms shared facilities
- Amuri Guest House – Private rooms, not always open.
More information can be found in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Aitutaki.
Holiday Homes in Arutanga
- Tavake Villa – One-bedroom beachfront villa sleeping four.
Learn more about this holiday home in the 5 Best Holiday Homes on Aitutaki.
Where Else to Stay on Aitutaki
The rest of the Aitutaki accommodation can be found on the southwest coast near the village of Nikaupara. Accommodation is just across the road from a sandy beach. Alternatively, there is some affordable inland accommodation nearby the village of Tautu.
The main advantage of staying at the southern end of Aitutaki is, of course, the serenity but the accommodation here is also extremely affordable. There are a few scenic spots to explore, such as Te Koutu Point, while the Avatea Cafe is just about your only dining option.
Accommodation in Tautu and Nikaupara
- Gina’s Garden Lodges – Cheap loft-style self-catering lodges
- Reef Motel – Units surrounding a central swimming pool
- Petero’s Place – Studio bungalows with long-term fees available.
Find out more about these accommodations in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Aitutaki and 5 Best Motels on Aitutaki.
Aitutaki Accommodation on a Private Island, Akaiami
That’s right, there are even a couple of accommodations on a remote island in the Aitutaki Lagoon! These accommodations are by no means luxury, especially for the price you pay per night for the privilege of this “Robinson Crusoe” experience. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a truly unique place to stay in Aitutaki, the island of Akaiami is the place. Both accommodations run their own boats to get there:
- Akaiami Paradise – Beach bungalows and a lodge for groups
- Gina’s Akaiami Beach Lodge – Self-contained lodge run by Gina’s Garden Lodges.
Learn more about staying on Akaiami in the 7 Most Unique Accommodations in the Cook Islands.
The Best Accommodations on Aitutaki: Accommodation Categories
By now, you’ve probably realised that Aitutaki has accommodation appealing to all types of travellers and that here, at Cook Islands Pocket Guide, we’ve ranked the best by category! Browse Aitutaki accommodation based on budget, accommodation style and more using the following links:
- 10 Best Resorts
- 10 Best Boutique Resorts
- 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations
- 5 Best Holiday Homes
- 10 Best Villas
- 5 Best Motels on Aitutaki
- 10 Best Budget Accommodations
- 6 Best Adults-Only Resorts
- 5 Best Luxury Accommodations
- 10 Most Romantic Wedding & Honeymoon Resorts
- 10 Best Family Resorts & Accommodations.
For more about planning your vacation according to your travel style, check out The Complete Travel Guide to Aitutaki.
More About Where to Stay on Aitutaki + The Best Aitutaki Accommodations
That’s it for our guide to the best Aitutaki accommodations. By now, you probably have a good idea of where to stay on Aitutaki, so plan the rest of your trip with these guides:
- The Complete Travel Guide to Aitutaki
- 20 Best Things to Do on Aitutaki
- 30 Tips for Travelling in the Cook Islands
Finally, if you’re still unsure where to stay on Aitutaki, go back to square one with our guide, Where to Stay in the Cook Islands: The Best Cook Islands Accommodations.